Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Under new management


I recently changed the name of my web site to the more personal kristoferkristensen dot org as opposed to the nonsensical thatvoiceagain dot com. I'm setting up an umbrella under which will have at least two facets of my musical output. I have shelved a bunch of projects in order to devote all my attention to a single undertaking. Under the moniker initialPatch I am producing an instrumental synthesizer album where all the tracks are entirely made up of original synthesizer patches, hence the name initialPatch which denotes the initial state of a synthesizer. Usually a sine wave with no processing applied initially. Tabula rasa. I find it extremely satisfying to work this way.

I am using samples of classic drum machines, but the musical patches themselves are made from scratch using software renditions of classic bits of kit like Korgs' MS20 and Monopoly synths along with a few other virtual analogue models. I flesh out ideas with presets, then initialize the tracks and begin sculpting the sound from scratch allowing for an evolved sound.

A problem in the past has been the unfortunate habit of striving for a finished and produced sound before the song even has a proper chorus section. It's tiring and you end up hating the song The initial phase of a song should be simplicity itself. Until you have the bass line you like, or the chord sequence you desire, you have no business creating intricate drum figures or LFO synced filter sweeps, or should I say I don't. Even if one prevails, the song will suffer. If one's ears are dulled by the constant repetition while perfecting too early, nothing will come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment